St George Thebarton committee responds to controversy over Father Diogenis’ resignation

·

The Executive Committee of the Community and Parish of Saint George Thebarton in South Australia has issued a detailed public statement following the resignation of Father Diogenis Patsouris from his role as senior priest.

In a statement released on Monday, February 16, the Committee said it was speaking “not to create division, but to promote healing,” as parishioners come to terms with what it described as “recent and unexpected developments.”

Father Diogenis, who has served the parish for more than 55 years, resigned from his position as ieratikos proistamenos – commonly translated as senior or presiding priest – following a meeting with His Grace Bishop Silouan of Adelaide at the offices of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in Adelaide on Tuesday, February 3.

According to the Committee, Father Diogenis was informed at that meeting that a decision had been made to transition the role, with the intention of appointing a younger priest.

“In those circumstances,” the statement said, “Father Diogenis Patsouris chose to resign as ieratikos proistamenos rather than be formally relieved of those duties.”

The Committee confirmed that Father Diogenis subsequently reported his verbal resignation to the parish president and Executive Committee, before addressing the congregation during the Divine Liturgy on Sunday, February 8.

During that address – delivered from the Holy Altar and later circulated widely online – Father Diogenis spoke candidly about the circumstances surrounding his decision. He told parishioners that he had been informed he would be relieved of his duties and described the experience as deeply distressing after more than five decades of service.

He said he felt “sadness, disappointment and bitterness” over how the situation had unfolded, adding that “when I saw that my work until today was not enough and that I did not have sufficient administrative abilities, I knew it was time to leave.”

He concluded by stating that he was leaving “with my head held high, with pride – for you and for myself.” The livestream of the address was later removed.

The remarks prompted an emotional outpouring across the Greek community, with parishioners, community leaders and public figures expressing shock and sorrow at the suddenness of the transition.

Among them was South Australian MP Tom Koutsantonis, who shared a personal tribute describing Father Diogenis as a constant presence in his life.

“He was there for all our Easters, Christmas, weddings, baptisms and funerals,” Mr Koutsantonis wrote. He described the priest as “our North Star” and “a rock,” adding: “This is not how it’s meant to be in our community. It feels wrong because it is.”

patsouris koutsaNTONIS
Tom Koutsantonis (left) with Fr Diogenis (centre).

In response to the growing concern, the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia issued a statement to The Greek Herald clarifying that Father Diogenis was not dismissed from the priesthood, nor removed from the Church of St George.

Rather, the Archdiocese said he was replaced specifically from the administrative role of ieratikos proistamenos, while continuing to serve fully as a priest and preside over all liturgical and worship services. Administrative responsibilities have been assumed by Father Konstantinos Skoumbourdis, effective from February 6.

The Archdiocese acknowledged Father Diogenis’ “important and valuable work” over more than five decades and said the Church’s evolving pastoral and administrative needs required renewed approaches to meet the needs of younger generations.

“With sincere love for the person of the venerable clergyman,” the Archdiocese said, it was acting in the interests of the future of the Church and its faithful, stressing that the Church “does not reject or devalue its people.”

In its own statement, the St George Executive Committee said it “acknowledges, without reservation, the authority of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia to appoint and remove an ieratikos proistamenos,” while expressing sadness that there was no prior consultation with the parish regarding a matter of such significance.

The Committee also expressed gratitude to His Eminence Archbishop Makarios of Australia for publicly assuring parishioners that Father Diogenis will continue to preside over services at St George, praising his “wise counsel and calming influence.”

Importantly, the Committee confirmed that Father Diogenis will be afforded the opportunity to determine the timing of his retirement, stating that his continued presence is “essential to our Community and Parish’s wellbeing, unity and future.”

“Our Community has been blessed by Father Diogenis Patsouris’ example of faith, loyalty to the Church, and devotion to Saint George the Great Martyr,” the statement said, adding that the values he instilled – unity, obedience and service – would continue to guide the parish.

The Committee concluded its statement by emphasising that this moment “calls not for division, but for prayer, mutual respect, and steadfast commitment,” pledging to move forward together “united in faith and purpose.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Theo Marinis offers up superannuation advice for families to save a fortune

For most people, making sure that their golden years are set for them are a major priority when it comes to family and financial planning. 

Lies, deception and secrecy: The untold story of a Greek Australian adoptee

“I wish I never knew. It’s turned my life upside down,” says 49-year-old Andriana. She’s referring to how she only recently discovered she was adopted.

American Archdiocese declares July 24 a ‘day of mourning’ over Hagia Sophia

July 24 will become a day of morning, according to Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, as the first day of Muslin prayers will commence at Hagia Sophia.